|Back to List of Press Releases|
|TechShop Austin-Round Rock to Host Mini Maker Faire to Showcase Innovations and Celebrate Imagination|
ROUND ROCK, Texas
, June 4, 2013 --
TechShop, a membership-based, do-it-yourself workshop and fabrication studio, will host a Mini Maker Faire, sponsored by Lowe's, at its 120 Sundance Pkwy #350 location in Round Rock on Saturday, June 8, from 10AM - 6PM.
Maker Faire is a community event for makers of all ages, experience levels, and interests. People show what they are making and share what they are learning. The TechShop event will include presentations and demos in robotics, 3D printing, engineering, creative household projects and more from makers in the Round Rock and Austin communities.
"TechShop's goal is to engage, enable, and empower everyone to build their dreams,” said Jim Newton, founder of TechShop, who will be on-site for the festivities. “We’re thrilled to host an event like Mini Maker Faire to show everyone that they can make incredible things, even if they don’t have the expertise or their own equipment.”
The event is free of charge and food and refreshments from Full House BBQ, Kona Ice, and Flix Brewhouse will be served. There will also be a Maker Marketplace with over 20 commercial makers selling their handmade goods and crafts.
A Sampling of TechShop Members and Projects at Mini Maker Faire
• AcrylArm, Arthur Ryan: Invented an open source robot arm for education and hobbyists
• Avail Design Group, Rip Rowan: Designers and social entrepreneurs motivated to help people adapt and take advantage of changing market and social conditions
• Feto Soap, Lisa Chouinard: Uses a quick and easy way to make custom bars of soap
• Lynx Laboratories, Nick Shelton: Created one of the first point-and-shoot 3D cameras
• Pepas Engines, Jason Pepas: Uses TechShop equipment to cast metal for all sorts of projects, including a miniature steam engine
• Pigsey Art, Commercial Maker Brandy Davis: Designs and manufactures unique journals and other paper products
Demos and Workshops at Mini Maker Faire
• Laser Cutting and Etching
• 3D Printing
• ShopBot CNC Wood Routing
• FlowJet Metal Cutting
• MIG and TIG Welding
• Silkscreen Printing
• Vacuum Form Moldmaking
• CNC Long-Arm Quilting Machine
Founded in October 2006, TechShop is a membership-based, do-it-yourself (DIY) workshop and fabrication studio that provides access to a vibrant community of creative makers and more than $1 million worth of equipment, tools, and software. Based in San Jose, Calif., with locations nationwide, TechShop offers classes, workshops, instruction, and training for people of all ages and skill levels to build whatever they can dream.
For information and course listings, visit www.techshop.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 855-TECHSHOP. You can follow TechShop on Twitter at "@TechShop." TechShop is also on Facebook as "TechShop Incorporated."
# # #