SPI601: SOF Kayak Workshop - Pre-enrollment for Current Members
Class Number 744-39837
Enrollment ends 01/6/14. The course of workshops begins January 6th!
Chuck Smith is a kayak enthusiast, TechShop member, and DIY superhero. Join him and his team to build your own Greenland Skin-on-Frame (SOF) Kayak! (Is it possible to predict a life-changing experience? Even if not, we think this will certainly be a milestone in your career as a maker.)
Technique workshops will take place on Monday evenings, schedule to be announced. Informal build sessions will take place every Wednesday. Come into TechShop any time we're open to do your "homework" in a great community of shop members!
We're offering a bundle of all the necessary kayak-building workshops at a great pre-enrollment price! Translate your enthusiasm and elbow grease into a beautiful kayak and a community of friends.
The pre-enrollment package for current TechShop members includes the following classes*:
Basic Wood Shop SBU** - Mortise machine, wood steamer - SOF design, layout - Making/fitting deck beams, end plates - Rib/combing preparation, measuring, bending - Chine, keelson, lashing - Skinning, sewing, cockpit lashing
Total cost: $450 (Save $70)
- When you combine this with all three material packs, it comes to $935. -
Material Packages - Order to complete your build
Purchase the Kayak Lumber Package Here - To ensure material quality, order deadline is December 30
Purchase the Kayak Skinning Package Here
Purchase the Kayak Float Bag Package Here
* This project runs through March 2014. A current membership is required to use the shop tools and resources during this time.
** Purchasing this package includes a Choice Class voucher, good toward the required Wood Shop SBU or any other eligible TechShop class.
|TechShop Location:||TechShop Detroit-Allen Park|
|Room / Area:|
|Class Date:||Monday, Jan 6, 2014|
|Start Time:||6:30 PM|
|Class Length:||1 Hour|
|Age Range:||12 and Up (Contact the store to register students under 13.)|
Registration Notes and Disclaimers:
- This class has a required minimum enrollment of 1 student, you will be notified via email if it does not meet enrollment the day before the class session.
- All classes at TechShop are subject to change; we make every attempt to notify all registered students.
- Please ensure that we have correct contact information on file to contact you in the event of a schedule change.