Family Policies & Shop Access
We are thrilled to announce that little makers as young as 8 years of age can now become TechShop members! Learn more here.
Please note that all member responsibilities, safety guidelines, rules, shop etiquette and policies outlined in the TechShop Individual Membership Agreement apply to add-on family members. Please ask for a new copy of the agreement. (We strongly recommend doing so as the agreement is periodically updated.)
Minors at TechShop
- Minors must be between 8-17 years of age to be eligible for membership
- Children under 8 years of age are restricted to age-appropriate classes, workshops, special events and staff-supervised tours
- Minors 8 through 15 years of age must be under the direct supervision of a parent, legal guardian or authorized adult at all times while on-site
- Minors 16 through 17 years of age may utilize designated equipment and areas of the shop independently while others either require they be under the direct supervision of a parent, legal guardian or authorized adult or are restricted from use altogether (see Access Charts below)
- All minors (including guests of members) must have a Waiver and Release of Liability for Minors signed by their parent or legal guardian on file before they will be allowed to attend classes or work on-site
- Adults must take and pass the SBU (Safety and Basic Use) class for all pieces of equipment on which they will be providing supervision to minors
- Adults must pay for their seat when in-class supervision is required (exceptions will be made for adults who have previously taken the class)
- Minors, like all other TechShop members, must act responsibly and respectfully and follow all directions from staff members and instructors
Minors in Classes
- All members including minors must take and pass SBU (Safety and Basic Use) classes in order to access select tools and equipment
- Minors 8 through 15 years of age are permitted to attend select classes when under the direct supervision of a parent, legal guardian or approved adult
- Minors 16 through 17 years of age may take some classes independently while other classes must be taken under the direct supervision of a parent, legal guardian or authorized adult (see Access Charts below)
Area, Equipment & Class Access for Minors
As there are different levels of inherent risk in both the environment and the operation of TechShop’s various tools and equipment, we have created the following three categories to designate area, equipment and class access for minors.
8-15 Supervised: Minors 8 to 15 years of age permitted only when under the direct supervision of a parent, legal guardian or approved adult in all areas of the shop except for the machine shop.
16-17 Solo: Minors 16 to 17 years of age permitted without parental supervision in all areas of the shop, except the machine shop.
16-17 Supervised: Minors 16 to 17 years of age must be under the direct supervision of a parent, legal guardian or approved adult when in the machine shop.