TechShop is proud to announce its first ever design-build competition, The Grill Build 2012!
This competition challenges you, our members, to create the coolest, hottest, most amazing grill/smoker you can imagine! The contest will culminate in a day of judging and cook-off competition. There, you’ll be able to show off your awesome project and everyone will enjoy a cookout with food prepared on the competition BBQs. A panel of judges will pick the winning team and announce the 2012 Grill Build Champion!
- Must be TechShop members (all locations are eligible!)
- Teams may consist of 1-3 members
- Teams must register to participate
Design workshop: April 14, 1PM - 3PM in the Conference Room
Registration deadline: May 14
Judging and cook-off: June 9 at TechShop San Jose from 11:30am-2pm
Grand Prize: Grill Build Champion
• Coveted TechShop Grill Build trophy (made at TechShop, naturally)
• 1 year TechShop membership for team members (max of 3 per team)
Best in Taste
• “Best In Taste” chef apron
• 3 month TechShop membership for the winning chef
Grill Build Champion
• Grill must be either built from scratch or heavily customized from existing material (e.g., converting a 55-gallon barrel into a grill). The more creative, the better!
• Grill must be safe for the grill master, onlookers, and diners
• Points will be favored towards the amount of customization involved. For example, heavier consideration will be given if you build your own handles instead of buying stock
• Coolness factor
Best in Taste
On the day of competition, we will have a cook-off! Winner of the Best in Taste award will be the participant to prepare the best tasting food. TechShop will provide the food.
• Participants are free to supply their own spices, sauces, seasoning, and “secret” ingredients
• Winner will be determined based on flavor and proper cooking techniques
The Art and Science of the DIY BBQ
Join us for this free workshop on tips and tricks to keep in mind while designing and building your own BBQ! Whether it’s a grill or smoker, if this is your first time building your own BBQ, there are some simple things can make your life easier and take your project to the next level. There will also be a Q&A session to answer any questions you may have.
To register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your team name and names of your teammates, and for the subject line, please put "Grill Build 2012"